[BRLTTY] running brltty wihtout brailledisplay

Andor Demarteau andor at nl.linux.org
Tue Jul 26 16:15:53 EDT 2005

hi people,

okay, there maybe other options, but as a longterm brltty user I'd stick
with what i know :)
is it possible (now I think there was a discution on the blinux-list a
while ago about this) to run brltty wihtout a braille-display attached
and/or even configured.

I'm asking thsi cause I'm looking for a way to get text-to-speech on my
shapr zaurus.
I've already installed (or shortly going to anyway) flite (festival lite)
on it.

As it's running console-only at the moment, it would make it quite easy to
use the /dev/vcsa0 stuff of brltty to get the eneded data to the
speech-program.

Any thoughs on this? (or suggestions to do it differnetly at all ofcourse
are welcome :) ).

attaching a brailledisplay is impossible becuase of the lag of usb-ports
(can be added) but also becuase of the fact that these usb-displays need a
powered usb-port which a pda can't provide.

Andor Demarteau                 E-mail: andor at nl.linux.org
student computer science        www: http://www.nl.linux.org/~andor
UU based & VU guest-student     jabber,icq,msn,voip: do ask ;)