[BRLTTY] Technological developments in braille displays

Andor Demarteau andor at nl.linux.org
Wed Jul 27 11:50:54 EDT 2005

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
 > One possibility to consider is a BlueTooth enabled braille display (like
 > the SuperVario or the Brailliant which are pretty small and slick), and
 > add to that a BlueTooth keyboard.  Then you just need any of the
 > mainstream PDA to serve as the actual core device, or a small laptop or
 > whatever.  Oh and why not BlueTooth headphones while at it!
seams that the pocketvario and the brailliant are simular in size/height
and runningtime if you take the 24-cell version.
nice to see that the PV doesn't eat battery of yoru laptop when it's
battery-powerd.
I quite miss that feature in my braille-voyager which therefore isn't
useful at all for any pda-connection.

 > If you go the PDA route, you can have a setup which is even smaller than
 > a laptop alone.  And the advantage over a combined solution like the
 > Elba or the BrailleStar or BrailleNote is that you can easily upgrade
 > the PDA alone when it becomes obsolete at a much lower cost.
yeps.

Andor Demarteau                 E-mail: andor at nl.linux.org
student computer science        www: http://www.nl.linux.org/~andor
UU based & VU guest-student     jabber,icq,msn,voip: do ask ;)