[BRLTTY] Technological developments in braille displays

Jan and Bertil Smark Nilsson bjsn at tpg.com.au
Wed Jul 27 22:15:24 EDT 2005

Greetings,

For twenty years I was involved in development projects aimed at producing
a cheap and reliable braille display and, so far, I don't know of any
technology that's equal to or better than the piezzoelectric concept.
Unfortunately, braille displays are expensive. I find it disgraceful that
those of us who don't live in the U.S. often have to pay more for our
braille displays. Just to mention one example, the Braille Voyager 44
costs USD$3495 in the US and and GBP£3460 (USD$6020 at the current
exchange rate) in the UK.

I agree with Jason that there is not much more to do with regard to
functionality. I've been using Alva displays for the last thirteen years
and found them both functional and reliable. The new model, A4 Glider,
looks promising with bluetooth, USB and serial ports, not to mention the
battery life, which is said to be 100 hours. But there again, it's much
more expensive than the Voyager.

As far as multi-line displays are concerned, I'm not interested. I can't
see any advantage which would outweigh the disadvantage of the bulk of
such a device.

Bertil Smark Nilsson