[BRLTTY] Default braille driver and device.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Oct 12 00:28:03 EDT 2005

Now that release 3.8 of BRLTTY is under development, I'd like to get back to
the topic of changing the default braille driver and device.

What about changing the default braille driver to "auto", i.e. that
autodetection be performed? If so, what about if one or more drivers are built
in (configured with --with-braille-driver=)? Should the autodetection be then
limited to those drivers which are built in, or should full autodetection still
be performed?

What about changing the default braille device to "usb:"? I like this because
it'd mean that BRLTTY would no longer ever do unsolicited I/O on an unexpected
device. What if the user specifies a braille driver which only supports serial
devices? Should some special accommodation be made for this case, or, to err on
the side of safety from an I/O perspective, should the default device still be
"usb:" so that the user must specify the serial device which is to be used?