[BRLTTY] Typing/reading braille combinations

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Sun Apr 16 05:50:43 EDT 2006

Raoul MEGELAS, le Sun 16 Apr 2006 07:23:26 +0200, a écrit :
> > The idea is hold the alt and altgr keys pressed, and then use the
> > keyboard's asdfjkl; keys for entering braille patterns just like on
> > a usual braille device.
>
> and just a point:
>
> jkl;nm and sdfvb (left/right hand)
>
> for typesetting music with one hand while reading with the other...
> as i had done with the very old keyboards.

Mmm, I'm not sure to understand: "jkl;nm" are 6 keys while sdfvb are
5 keys. Which fingers do you use for which key?

We can provide a keymap for this.

The problem is that even among good keyboard, they do not all allow any
keypress dependency: one mine, `b' and `n' can't be pressed while alt
and altgr are pressed. Maybe we can ask for having a "BrailleLock" key,
but on my keyboard, this doesn't help much. When "df" are pressed, the
`b' key doesn't work. I chose asdfjkl; because I found that they were
the most independent ones on various keyboards.

Regards,
Samuel