[BRLTTY] Compiling brltty on Mac OS X

Leo Abken abken at covad.net
Wed Apr 19 22:03:16 EDT 2006

Dear List:

Has anyone here successfully compiled brltty on Mac OS X?  When I try
to compile I get compilation errors.  I am receiving errors when
usb_darwin.c is being compiled.  It complains about setErrno
expecting one parameter but being called with two.  All of the calls
to setErrno in usb_darwin.c look like:

setErrno(kernelResult, "Darwin master port create");

The usb_darwin.c has a prototype like this for setErrno:

static void
setErrno (long int result, const char *action) {
}

This is all fine and good except that misc.h (which is included) has this:

#ifdef WINDOWS
#define getSystemError() GetLastError()
#define getSocketError() WSAGetLastError()

#ifdef __CYGWIN__
#include <sys/cygwin.h>
#define setErrno(error) errno =
cygwin_internal(CW_GET_ERRNO_FROM_WINERROR, (error))
#else /* __CYGWIN__ */
#define setErrno(error) errno = EIO
#endif /* __CYGWIN__ */
#else /* WINDOWS */
#define getSystemError() errno
#define getSocketError() errno

#define setErrno(error)
#endif /* WINDOWS */

I have no idea what any of this in misc.h is supposed to do but it
appears that usb_darwin.c is the only file in brltty to directly call
setErrno, although some other files call other macros that are
defined in terms of setErrno.

This is all with brltty 3.7.2.  Did brltty *ever* compile for Mac OS
X?  It currently does not.  Or, if someone else has gotten this to
work, I'd really like a patch to get it working on the Mac.

Thanks,

Leo