[BRLTTY] can't start brltty in the live-CD grml

Hermann steppenwolf2 at onlinehome.de
Thu Apr 20 15:15:19 EDT 2006

Hi to all,
I'm new here: My name is Hermann and I live in Germany.
I use several Linux live-CDs such as knoppix, which I think is also
known outside of Germany.
Since a few months I prefer a distribution named grml, that is developed
by an Austrian team. It also contains brltty and until the latest
version of grml (0.7) it worked well.
Since that version I encounter several problems:
It is not possible to run brltty after starting grml. When I enter:
brltty -b bm -t text.de.tbl
which is the string for my braille display, (Vario 40 by Baum) nothing
happens.
Like many live-CDs, grml shows a boot prompt, before starting the
system. You can enter here (in my case)
grml brltty=bm,/dev/ttyS0,text.de.tbl
so that the braille display starts with the system; this works.
It is also possible to create a file with several start parameters to
automatize the process; that also works.
And, to complete the confusion, when I copy a prepared brltty.conf file
and then invoke brltty with the parameters like said in the first
example it also works.
What went wrong with brltty? In former versions of grml the team
compiled the package with brltty 3.4.1, since version 0.7 the use brltty
version 3.7.2 and the trouble began.
Another problem was that I had to figure out, that the start parameters
for the Baum display has changed from "va" or "vh" to "bm".
The man-pages contain the old parameters despite the fact, that they
describe version 3.7.2. However the help screen showed me the right way,
although I had to guess the name of the parameter; first I thought that
the right parameter was "ba", which is obviously not true.
The online documentation made everything clear, but the problems with
the command line still remain.
Any idea what's going on?
Best regards
Hermann