[BRLTTY] Compiling brltty on Mac OS X

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Apr 21 10:15:56 EDT 2006

[quoted lines by Leo Abken on 2006/04/20 at 21:27 -0700]

>it does not install.  Make install
>fails part way through the install phase.  The failure happens when
>the drivers are being stripped.  Here is the output:
>
>/usr/bin/install -c -s ../lib/*.bundle /usr/local/lib/brltty
>strip: symbols referenced by indirect symbol table entries that can't
>be stripped in: /usr/local/lib/brltty/libbrlttybal.bundle

Yes, I remember that error. I'll have to look around for someone who can give
me tiome on a Mac OS X system in order to work on it. For now, you can continue
by working with unstripped binaries. After configuring, edit config.mk in the
top-level build directory and look for the line:

   INSTALL_PROGRAM = $(INSTALL_SCRIPT) -s

Just remove the -s and no stripping will be done.

>I suspect this failure has to do with these drivers being built with
>-flat_namespace -undefined suppress.

Do you know a better set of options? Perhaps you could experiment by making
further changes to config.mk (after the configure), and letting me know what
works.

>BTW this is on 10.4.  OSX 10.3 and later introduced two-level
>namespace so don't know if there's a good reason these are being
>built with flat namespace.

I'm not really very familiar with Mac OS X. Could you give me a bit of a
description of this feature?