[BRLTTY] Inka's non-standard flow control

Nicolas Pitre nico at cam.org
Sun Apr 23 22:29:00 EDT 2006

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> Nicolas Pitre, le Sun 23 Apr 2006 13:41:42 -0400, a écrit :
> > On Sun, 23 Apr 2006, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,

> > > If you don't have a precise answer right now, do you at least have a
> > > order of magnitude? (microseconds? milliseconds?)
> > >
> > > I need this information for deciding how to implement this in Linux.
> >
> > Do it in user space.  Please.
>
> Why?

Because it is portable that way.

Because, frankly, I doubt the current serial maintainer will accept such
a non standard behavior added to the kernel for only one
"obscure" device.  And I know what I'm talking about when it comes to
dealing with that person.

> Doesn't it need the strobe to be quite responsive?

How responsive does it need to be?

> We tried to implement the VisioBraille non-standard flow control, and it
> wasn't working because it wasn't responsive enough.

How was it implemented?

> If strobing _each
> character_ from user space is responsive enough, then fine. But I really
> doubt it will ever work at 57600bps...

Why not?  Did you try it?  Because the serial maintainer is sure to ask
you the same question and possibly ask you to see your user space code.

Isn't the protocol working in lock state?  If so the transfer rate will
be just as fast as the amount of CPU you can give it.  If you can
transfer only 100 characters in 100ms so what?  It should be plenty
functional already.

Otherwise, if it can't be done in user space, I'm afraid you'll have to
tweak each low level serial drivers (let's say the 8250 for now) and
frankly I'm afraid you'll be granted with a big "no no" if you don't
have a strong case for it.

Nicolas