[BRLTTY] Inka's non-standard flow control

Jason White jasonw at ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Apr 24 05:12:29 EDT 2006

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 11:00:59AM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Ah. But for testing the serial communication, doesn't one need to
> implement the packet format too? Or are there simple tests that can be
> performed?
It might be possible to construct a sequence that will elicit a known (or
predictable response), e.g., a status request, from the device.

> > Whether that's worth it
>
> Doesn't Inka have a file transfer facility?
No. In the latest and presumably final version of the firmware, dating from
1998, there are two "modes". The first is the old protocol which is presently
under discussion. The second, which I use to operate the INKA under BRLTTY,
uses standard serial parameters (19200 baud, 8 data bits if memory serves).
The communication protocol is similar to that used in the Baum Vario displays,
with some differences. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be possible to set
the INKA to use the new protocol by default, without modifying the code stored
in flash memory. Thus one has the minor inconvenience of having to press a
certain key combination to switch to mode 2 after starting the braille display
and prior to running BRLTTY.