[BRLTTY] Encorporating python scripts for LaTeX into brltty

Alastair Irving alastairirving19 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 9 15:28:53 EDT 2006

Hello List

As I work with a lot of documents in LaTeX, (a typesetting language
widely used for maths and science), I have written a script in python
which translates a line of a LaTeX file into nemeth maths braille.  I
would like to get this working with brltty, so it can be used when
editting documents.  My idea is that instead of being translated by the
standard brltty translation tables, the current line can be passed to my
scripts, and the returned translation can be output to the braille
display.

Initially I thought this could be accomplished with the brltty API, but
I am now doubtful of this as it appears it cannot be used to access the
contents of the screen.  Therefore, I think I may have to make
modifications to the brltty source.  If so, could anyone on list give me
a rough idea of what I will have to do, for example which functions
would require editing, as I don't want to spend ages reading masses of
sourcecode to try and understand it.

I hope the above makes sence

Alastair Irving
e-mail (and MSN): alastairirving19 at hotmail.com