[BRLTTY] Startup of Linux with brltty

Aldo blinuxman at tuxfamily.org
Fri Jun 2 05:59:27 EDT 2006

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 10:47:49AM +0200, Hermann wrote:
> Hi to all,
> yesterday I installed a debian Linux from the Live-CD grml. It all went
> fine except one problem:
> I don't get braille support during the startup procedure, e.g. I have to
> log in blindly.
> I don't think that this is normal.

That isn't normal.

> In the file lilo.conf there are several lines containing a brltty
> string. I put it here:
>
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-grml
>         label="2.6.16-grml"
>         #append="video=vesafb:ypan,1024x768-16 at 60 brltty speakup_synth
> swspeak"
>         append="grml_from_hd brltty speakup_synth swspeak"
>         read-only
>         vga=0x0317
>
> What can I do, to get braille support during startup?

If you download and try our blindia alternate d-i, you will be able to
use grub, and all tests we have done from the blindia team result in
rebooting with brailel support, except if you did a mistake during the
debconf of brltty;
the blindia script does also provide you with the possibility to try
first with grub fit on a flop, then you can always perform a
grub-install /dev/hda later if satisfied.

BlinDIA's Grml/Knoppix install-a-plain-debian script :
http://brlspeak.net/blindia.php

Thats one of the reasons why we did it: we want a good and easy
blindfriendly installer from within GRML. But we also think our
installer is an alternative solution for those who doesn't like the
official D-I.

Aldo.

PS: we also have aa discussion list about it, cf. the website.