[BRLTTY] brltty with mbrola speech

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Jun 19 10:58:42 EDT 2006

[quoted lines by Hermann on 2006/06/19 at 10:13 +0200]

>I remember that speech dispatcher was mentioned briefly in this list.

Which is what reminded me that we needed a driver for it. :-)

>But I have no precise idea what it really does. Can anyone explain it to me?
>Is this a synthesizer or, as I guess, a universa driver for speech
>applications.

It's not a synthesizer. It's a server which provides a general speech interface
to its clients and which can control whichever synthesizers it has drivers for.
Several clients can use it at the same time, and it has mechanisms for deciding
which one gets priority at any given moment, etc.

>If it's a universal driver, what kind of synths does it support,

Beiong a braille user, I haven't ever looked into this particular question very
closely. It at least supports: Festival, Festival Lite, Dec Talk, Apollo, epos,
and llia_phon.