[BRLTTY] Does the rhmkiso script work for anyone at all?

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Tue Mar 7 16:16:41 EST 2006

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> writes:

>>> The FC4 boot.iso uses the "newc" cpio format, rhmkiso
>>> forces the oldc format.
>
> I just rechecked and this isn't true. When creating the archive, rhmkiso
> specifies the -c option of cpio. The man page for cpio says:
>
>    -c     Identical to "-H newc", use the new (SVR4) portable format.

Sneaky!  Here is what the info page of my cpio version says:

`-c'
     Use the old portable (ASCII) archive format.

And here is how my cpio behaves:

x2:/tmp# touch content
x2:/tmp# cpio -o -O test.cpio -c
content
1 block
x2:/tmp# file test.cpio
test.cpio: ASCII cpio archive (pre-SVR4 or odc)

compare to

x2:/tmp# cpio -H newc -o -O test.cpio
content
1 block
x2:/tmp# file test.cpio
test.cpio: ASCII cpio archive (SVR4 with no CRC)

Which is what FC4 uses.

> Now it's true that the -c option is specified after the -O (output file)
> option. Perhaps the version of cpio which you were using needs the -c option
> to be specified first. Can you check into this.

I did, and no, its actually that my version of cpio has a different
semantics for -c.  Using "-H newc" seems saver.

--
CYa,
  Mario