[BRLTTY] Speech enhancements

Yannick PLASSIARD yan at mistigri.org
Thu Mar 16 10:36:08 EST 2006

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 08:51:55AM -0500, Dave Mielke wrote:
> [quoted lines by Yannick PLASSIARD on 2006/03/16 at 10:16 +0100]
>
> Hi:
>
> >It would be good to have a new setting "Echo by" in the configuration. Values
> >could be :
> >* Character (as usual)
> >* Word
> >* Character and word
>
> What would the rule for when to speak a word be? As soon as a known word from
> the dictionary is entered? When a blank is entered? When punctuation is
> entered? I'm sure that other screen readers have already tackled this issue so
> perhaps we can borrow an idea or two from them.
	Any blank, or several punctuations but not all (; : ? . !). But we could start with "blank" delimiters and see what results it gives to us.
A word is, as far as I know, precedded by a blank sign or nothing at all (start of line), but depending on how it's implemented, we do not necessarilly need to borrow about this.
Any other idea about these rules ? I based my suggestions on what Jaws for Windows does in "echo by word" mode.
	Yannick