[BRLTTY] Braille in CLDR

Steven R. Loomis srl at monkey.sbay.org
Thu May 25 13:14:22 EDT 2006

Right, different languages in CLDR would almost certainly want to use
different braille codes.  One question that comes up is whether such
data should be collected in encoded form or not. For example, for US
english, I could imagine defining two sets of data, with locales
named  en_Brai_US_GRADE1 and en_Brai_US_GRADE2  (if one wanted to
encode grade 1 and grade 2). However, packages such as brltty don't
require applications to have braille-formatted output, in fact they
contain transformation tables.   CLDR has Unicode-based
transforms.     I've looked at the English Braille American Edition,
for example, it seems to be fairly well defined, although there is
some context required for special symbols.

Therefore, as regards braille, should CLDR (or, something in CLDR
format) attempt to provide a repository of transforms between Unicode
non-braille text and Unicode dot patterns,  or should CLDR attempt to
encode the actual braille dot patterns?

In the case of encoding the dot-patterns, CLDR would be able to
provide a repository of information - including abbreviations - for
things such as language/region translations, dates, times, timezones,
calendars, measurement systems, etc etc.   This could be useful for
things such as braille PDAs.   I could imagine that encoding the dot-
patterns makes sense in situations where you want to optimize the
braille output, such as on a limited-cell PDA.    CLDR could have a
very short pattern for displaying the date and time in various forms,
timezones, etc etc.

libbraille has a list of some other alphabets also: http://
libbraille.org/alphabet.php

I'd love to set up a refreshable display and work with it, however
their prices keep that out of my range for experimentation.  I do
enjoy experimenting with my pocket slates, unfortunately my fingers
are still not sensitive enough to read very well.

-s