[BRLTTY] Braille in CLDR

Nicolas Pitre nico at cam.org
Fri May 26 13:51:42 EDT 2006

On Fri, 26 May 2006, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> But this looks like an already known problem: "should the screen reader
> use contracted braille or plain braille", which I guess is already
> handled by screen readers (via a shortcut for switching between both
> modes, I guess).

This is not just a guess, but a fact since BRLTTY already supports that
mode of operation.  Have a look at the content of the ContractionTables
subdirectory in the BRLTTY source archive for a feel of how complex a
task that might be.  And this is not including the engine needed to
compile the abbreviation descriptions and to apply the needed transforms
in the appropriate context, etc.  And still, especially for French, it's
almost impossible for those contraction rules to be 100% right all the
time as some of them require human judgment with exceptions based on how
a given word is actually pronounced to choose between alternative
contractions, etc.

Therefore Unicode should really stick to straight braille glyph
representations and leave more complex transformation/encoding to
specialized applications.  Otherwise you'll have to consider the Nemeth
braille code for mathematic symbols, the different musical braille
codes, etc.  And even the different institutions for the blind around
the world didn't agree with each other yet on a common standard for
straight uncontracted braille even in the same language, so...

Nicolas