[BRLTTY] re: Python brlapi and translation table question

Nicolas Pitre nico at cam.org
Thu Nov 16 11:41:25 EST 2006

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, scott at bashautomation.com wrote:

> Yes, the preference menu allows for global switching of languages and I
> assume translation tables.  It would be nice to be able to switch
> translation table programmatically.  An example of this usefulness would
> be viewing a webpage that has foreign language intermingled within the
> native language.  This is very valuable in speech.  We are less sure about
> the importance in braille.

Don't do that.  I would be very very very angry at you if you did that
on me.  Unlike speech, braille table is something you should not switch
in the middle of a page just because its language changed.  One's
braille table already maps many foreign characters one is used to,
regardless of the language used.

> 2.  We are looking forward to the AND/OR function.  Please let me know if
> I can help here.

Please don't abuse it.  Don't try to manage braille table yourself for
example.

Nicolas