[BRLTTY] What shall we do with bluetooth passkeys?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Nov 17 16:47:56 EST 2006

[quoted lines by Stéphane Doyon on 2006/11/17 at 08:57 -0500]

Hi:

>Really?! How is that done? BrlAPI??

Yes, that's exactly one of the things BrlAPI has been designed to do.

>Well it would be nice to be able to change it, but honestly it's not a big
>deal, more a matter of principle...

I agree.

>>There actually is a problem. Until you can see the device you can't
>>probe it to figure out what kind of device it is. Until you know the PIN
>>you can't see the device.
>
>I'm not sure what you mean...

You need to know the PIN in order to connect in order to probe the device in
order to know which PIN to use.

>$ hcitool scan
>Scanning ...
>        00:A0:96:0B:AE:F9       HWG Brailliant40 25010972
>        00:14:51:53:DE:DB       iMac-Intel

The name is an arbitrary string which the user can change. The device can't be
detected by a scan if it's been configured to not advertise itself. There is a
set of capabilities but I know of no formally defined capability that says "I'm
such and such kind of a braille display". There are no product/vendour codes
like in USB.