[BRLTTY] Braille support under Ubuntu with Orca?

Hermann steppenwolf2 at onlinehome.de
Mon Oct 2 04:08:32 EDT 2006

Hi,
yesterday I've tested an Ubuntu live CD (Edgy-desktop 6.10) with Orca.
The Orca setup asks whether I want braille support or not. Answering
"yes" causes a crash of Orca and partially also the system.
I couldn't login and out unless I repeated the procedure several times,
and finally had to reboot my system.
Without braille support Orca worked.
I read that the braille support of Orca is based on brltty. Is that
true? And if so, what can I do to get it to work?
Furthermore: I couldn't start brltty in the text console. Does this work
at all? I don't know whether I'm logged in as root in the text window.
I use a Alva Satellite 544.
Any ideas?
Regards
Hermann