[BRLTTY] Variable status cell displays and BrlAPI

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Thu Oct 26 09:03:10 EDT 2006

Mario Lang, le Thu 26 Oct 2006 14:50:18 +0200, a écrit :
> > On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, Mario Lang wrote:
> >
> >> Hi.
> >>
> >> As far as I can see (please correct me if I am wrong), there is no
> >> way to write the status cell content via BrlAPI.  The new
> >> HandyTech Modular Evolution series has no spacing between status cells
> >> and main display, so it could potentially be used as a full 88 (or 64) char
> >> display.  I think we should make sure this can be utilized from
> >> API clients, since these are more likely to not rely on even display
> >> width.  What can we do to make this possible?
> >> Ideally, the brlapi_write call should allow a regionSize of 88.
> >> However, this also means that displaySize should be able to report 88.
> >
> > This is a driver issue not a brlapi issue.  The driver should detect
> > such display models and advertise the display as being a 88 cells to the
> > core (possibly with a driver parameter if this is not desirable in all
> > cases).
>
> Well, but I dont want to use 88 cells in a text console, only
> for API clients.

Then you may just need an option for asking the brltty core to use 8
cells of the text cells as status cells.

I had a quick look, and it looked like a bunch of drivers decide
themselves where to split between the main display and the status
display.  Do these displays have a space between displays, or is this
purely arbitrary (in which case the brltty core should probably have an
option and handle that itself)?

Samuel