[BRLTTY] qemu/vmware/... virtual braille devices?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sun Apr 8 02:01:36 EDT 2007

[quoted lines by Samuel Thibault on 2007/04/08 at 01:25 +0200]

>However, this requires some not-so-trivial configuration

Wouldn't it only be network configuration?

>and it doesn't permit to test another screen reader than brltty in the
>emulated system.

For this solution to be viable, how many different versions of the virtual
driver would need to be implemented? If even more than one then I'd say that
the simplest protocol would be in order.

I believe you said that one of the groups is pushing for the best documented
protocol. The vendours aren't in the habit of publically documenting their
protocols. They do give private copies to us, and they're content with the fact
that our code "documents" parts of them, but it's difficult to make quality and
thoroughness of the documentation be an external criterion.

>I mean, you are saying "why does qemu emulate a video board while we
>could use vnc?" :)

Because kernels think they have full access to video cards. Perhaps X doesn't
need the kernel for vnc, but other graphics applications (e.g. Linux frame
buffer suppoort) as well as text mode do. This isn't an issue with brltty.