[BRLTTY] qemu/vmware/... virtual braille devices?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sun Apr 8 23:38:56 EDT 2007

[quoted lines by Samuel Thibault on 2007/04/08 at 11:46 +0200]

>> For this solution to be viable, how many different versions of the virtual
>> driver would need to be implemented? If even more than one then I'd say that
>> the simplest protocol would be in order.
>
>What do you mean by "version"? If we emulate a device that is supported
>by all well-known readers, and that is simple enough, we don't need to
>be able to emulate other devices.

I mean one for qemu, one for vmware, etc, or do you think we can somehow get
away with a single implementation which will work within all of them?

>Isn't there at least one that did publicly document their protocol?

i don't think so, but I could easily be wrong on this point. Perhaps others can
more accurately answer this question.

There's another protocol issue, i.e. display size. It wouldn't work too well if
brltty on the guest were to have a wrong idea as to the exact display size.
Ideally, if we go this route, we should use a protocol which allows the device
to specify an arbitrary size. Most just give a model identifier whcih implies
the size. I suppose we could then round down but that'd be a bit ugly.