[BRLTTY] brlapi_getDriverId()

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Wed Apr 25 10:31:39 EDT 2007

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> writes:

>>To stick to Dave's proposition regarding write, shouldn't we call the
>>structure something like openConnectionArguments ?
>
> No. Perhaps openArguments, but connectionSettings is better. The difference is
> that writeStruct (writeArguments) is temporary, i.e. it lasts just for the
> duration of the write, whereas the connectionSettings are persistent for the
> life of the connection so they're settings rather than arguments.

At least I wrote a piece of code[1] just yesterday where the writeStruct
is permanent for the life-cycle of the program, only the
memory area pointed to by attrOr was modified between calls to
brlapi_write().  Whatever name we'l choose for writeStruct,
it will still stay a cludge for the benefit of better API compatibility.

I actually like writeStruct more then writeArguments, now that I think
about it, dont know why.  It kind of links with the C-level, and
it is not used in some higher level bindings anyway (at least the
lisp bindings do not export anything about writeStruct, Lisp
is flexible enough to hide the underlying problem, it has
named arguments for functions if you need them).

[1] brlview, linking imagemagick and brlapi to allow "viewing"
of images in braille...  If anyone is interested, drop me a line,
it is not finished yet, but the proof of concept works, and I will
probably need testers some day.

--
CYa,
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'