[BRLTTY] A bug in revision 3008-09 of version 3.8dev?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Apr 30 11:04:32 EDT 2007

[quoted lines by Lee Maschmeyer on 2007/04/30 at 10:19 -0400]

>The only thing I did notice is that in Emacs when I write a long line that
>Emacs wraps, when I use a routing button to go between physical lines Windows
>sometimes beeps, especially when going toward the bottom of the screen. It
>works properly, though.

Is this new? It's actually something I'd expect when a long line is wrapped.
The reason is that brltty first tries to move the cursor to the new screen line
with up/down arrows, and, if that fails, with left/right arrows. The algorithm
is actually even more complex than that, and, once in a while, the cursor bumps
into the end of a line or the top/bottom of the file which, depending on the
application, may cause a beep.  When you look at the screen you tend to know
how to use the arrow keys, but brltty, which hasn't been blessed with a brain
as intuitive as the ones God created within ourselves, makes a few guesses
until it gets it right.