[BRLTTY] A bug in revision 3008-09 of version 3.8dev?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Apr 30 11:22:25 EDT 2007

[quoted lines by hermann on 2007/04/30 at 17:05 +0200]

>the problem is solved:
>10 days ago I updated my Edgy to Feisty by dist-upgrade. The installer
>set me back to version 3.7.2, which I corrected imediately, but forgot
>to cleanup my install paths. So there were different bins installed.

Excellent! Thanks.

>I wonder why it worked so long without problems, instead of causing the
>trouble at once.

Revision 3005 increased the size of a data structure (ScreenDescription for the
curious). If any older code was declaring that data structure then it would've
allocated it with its older, smaller size and memory could've become corrupted
by newer code modifying data within the additional bytes.

>But one thing remains:
>/etc/init.d/blrtty does not return to the prompt properly when invoked.
>Example: You enter:
>/etc/init.d/brltty restart
>you get the message "braille driver restarted", but the prompt gets
>appended to that message.
>What may cause this?

This would be a Ubuntu problem as that's one of their scripts. I don't have a
Ubuntu system here so I can't look into it. If you send me a copy of the
script, however, I'll see if I can spot something.