[BRLTTY] A bug in revision 3008-09 of version 3.8dev?

Nicolas Pitre nico at cam.org
Mon Apr 30 12:00:03 EDT 2007

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Dave Mielke wrote:

> [quoted lines by hermann on 2007/04/30 at 17:05 +0200]
>
> >I wonder why it worked so long without problems, instead of causing the
> >trouble at once.
>
> Revision 3005 increased the size of a data structure (ScreenDescription for the
> curious). If any older code was declaring that data structure then it would've
> allocated it with its older, smaller size and memory could've become corrupted
> by newer code modifying data within the additional bytes.

Maybe the dynamically linked driver modules should have a version bump
in those cases to make sure they're compatible.

Better yet, the BRLTTY version could be stored in every dynamically
loaded drivers and BRLTTY refuse to use them if the version doesn't
match.  This is the best way to avoid mysterious bug reports like this
one was.

Nicolas