[BRLTTY] Final release of brltty 3.8?

Willie Walker William.Walker at Sun.COM
Wed Feb 21 10:35:46 EST 2007

> About the USB issue, IIRC the solution that was found was to just drop
> (0x0403,0x6001) from the udev rule so as to avoid starting brltty when
> plugging serial boards that have the same IDs (since that's the board
> embedded in the HandyTech device), wasn't it?

I'm not sure of what works where, but I've not been able to get either
3.7.2 (which is the BrlTTY version that comes with Feisty) or BrlTTY
from SVN to connect to my Baum Vario 40 hanging off a Keyspan USA-19HS
dongle on my Feisty box, which is up-to-date as of last night.  I
suspect this is a Feisty issue and not a BrlTTY issue since I've had
success with doing this configuration on Edgy.

I've been looking at these things, but I'm not sure how they might apply
to my configuration:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.20/+bug/80892
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/brltty/+bug/83939

>> 1) Internationalization support
>
> What do you mean by this? Different braille tables? (that's on the
> schedule)

I want to be able to throw UTF-8 strings at BrlAPI and have the "right
thing" happen.  :-)

>> 2) Grade 2 braille, both displaying it and handling cursor routing keys
>
> As already discussed, that should probably be handled by something like
> gnome-braille.

I keep getting confused about the discussion and need to better
understand where the support starts and ends in BrlTTY/BrlAPI.  I see
contraction and translation tables in BrlTTY, which is probably the
source of my confusion.

Is the proposal on your part the following:

1) An assistive technology such as Orca would use BrlAPI only for saying
which dots are to be popped up or down and for determining which buttons
the user has pressed on the display.

2) Orca would use a separate package, such as gnome-braille, to convert
UTF-8 strings to a set of cells/dots and also for mapping a given cell
to a character in a string.  As such, all communication between from
Orca to BrlAPI would be at the raw "put these dots in these cells" level
instead of "display this string and put the cursor here" higher level as
we do now.

With this, Orca and the separate package would be in complete control of
allowing for things such rapid switching between contracted/uncontracted
braille and for handling multiple locales.

If this is the case, where do the BrlTTY contraction and translation
tables come into play, and how do we make sure the user sees the same
dots for the same strings when switching between BrlTTY on the console
and Orca on the desktop?

Thanks!

Will