[BRLTTY] Slightly OT, cleaning braille display cells

Jason White jasonw at ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au
Fri Jan 5 19:59:35 EST 2007

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 07:09:46PM -0500, St??phane Doyon wrote:
> But cell design seems to have improved a lot, my Brailliant seems to be less
> susceptible. Good thing too as it doesn't seem as easy to clean.

Those are reputedly KGS cells. Mine has 40 cells, and according to the KGS Web
site they come in 8-cell modules, which indicates that mine would have 5
modules in it.

> The only advice I have for you is to try to avoid dirtying the cells in the
> first place. If your hands feel the least bit sticky or dusty, take the time to
> go wash. No eating near the Braille display. If you need to lug the display
> around, pay attention what you wrap it in. I used a piece of soft foam to
> protect my display at some point, and in retrospect I think the surface of the
> foam probably retained dust and dirt, which would then come in contact with the
> cells. Actually I can't understand why displays don't come with a protective
> case, especially given their price.

I agree completely. I always keep my hands clean when using a braille display.
My older INKA display is covered by a plastic sheet when not in use. I chose
this because it was similar to the kind of plastic that the display was
wrapped in when it was supplied by Baum.

I will be looking for a suitable carrying case for my Brailliant display as
well. Perhaps a similar kind of plastic sheet would also work when it is just
sitting at home on the desk overnight. At the moment I am just covering it
with the hard foam that was resting on top of it as part of the packaging
materials when it arrived here in late December.