[BRLTTY] Slightly OT, cleaning braille display cells

Jason White jasonw at ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au
Sat Jan 6 01:08:14 EST 2007

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 12:04:31AM -0500, Dave Mielke wrote:

> Another possible reason (just a thought) is that newer displays are designed
> with battery conservation in mind wqhereas the older ones were designed to run
> on house current. The pins on the older ones, therefore, may have been moved
> with a stronger action.

This is indeed a possibility, as apparently most of the power is consumed in
changing the state of the pin. I read somewhere that very little power is
needed to maintain it once in place.

As a slightly off-topic question, does anyone know why, after a display is
switched off, the pins eventually rise through the holes in the surface? My
Brailliant display, for example, always blanks out the entire line as part of
its shutdown process, but after a few minutes, most of the pins have been
raised again, obviously not through the application of current.