[BRLTTY] cleaning braille display cells

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Jan 6 10:36:13 EST 2007

[quoted lines by Mario Lang on 2007/01/06 at 16:12 +0100]

>Cellphones are also a good example of things that occasionally
>get dropped into water.  Sometimes, one can save them,
>but in other cases certain things just stop working.  I guess this
>is related to the fact if the device was actually running when it came
>into contact with water...

Perhaps, but I rather suspect it's simply because water, which conducts
electricity, causes short circuits if it ends up in the right places. With cell
phones, I suspect it's also because the presence of water significantly alters
attributes like conductance and capacitance, thereby detuning the finely
adjusted circuits which govern the frequencies on which the transmitter and
receiver operate.

My main point, of ourse, really was that children, who aren't as aware of the
consequences of certain actions, can inadvertently cause far more damage to
braille displays than mere dust does.