[BRLTTY] brltty "keyboard braille device" support (and a few more things)

Sébastien Hinderer Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org
Thu Jan 25 03:13:32 EST 2007

Hi,

Dave Mielke :

> >Right, and this doesn't work in sbl either. even if using "screen"
> >locally, the real program profile isn't autodetected anymore. In this
> >case, there are keyboard hotkeys that allow you to switch from the
> >"bash" profile to "mutt", "elinks" or similar.
>
> Application-specific profiles are an interesting idea, but are they really all
> that useful? Maybe I'm just used to working for so long without them. In any
> event, I have a hard time getting interested in features which only work in
> certain cases. Perhaps they could be made to work better if, rather than asking
> the system what the foreground program is, they pattern-match the screen
> content/highlighting for application-specific appearances.

In my opinion, it is very important to be able to adapt the screen reader
to applications above all in contexts where nothing can be done to make
applications themselves more accessible. This is, I believe, especially
tru for DOS/Windows applications, which may be why profiles have become
so popular.
In an environment where aplications can be made more accessible by
talking to their devlopers, submitting patches etc, it may be the case
that profiles lose a bit of their importance.

Sébastien.