[BRLTTY] brltty "keyboard braille device" support (and a few more things)

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Jan 25 19:52:18 EST 2007

[quoted lines by Klaus Knopper on 2007/01/25 at 22:55 +0100]

>Because it makes sense?

What may seem obvious to one person isn't always as obvious to others. That's
why taking the time to explain is often more effective. :-)

>if it's the common opinion here that brltty should NOT
>have support for keyboard-based navigation and support for communication
>with different speech synhesizers as an add-on,

It already has the ability to comunicate with various speech synthesizers,
including the ability to communicate with speech-dispatcher so that it can
indirectly communicate with even more.

There's already a need for keyboard-based command entry, e.g. to support
braille dispalys with no or few keys.

The only issue, as I see it, is how much speech-oriented functionality should
be added. I'm not a speech user so I'm a bit ignorant in this area. If all
that's needed are a speech cursor and simple commands like saying letters,
words, and lines, then I don't see a problem.

Whatever functionality is added shouldn't be viewed as causing unnecessary
growth since it's inclusion would, of course, be governed by the
--enable-speech-support configuration option.