[BRLTTY] brltty "keyboard braille device" support (and a few more things)

Jason White jasonw at ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Jan 29 01:17:14 EST 2007

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 12:22:49AM -0500, Dave Mielke wrote:
> If I ever get into using
> some sort of GPS receiver I'm sure I'd want it to talk to me too, especially
> here during our extremely cold winters when removing my gloves is the last
> thing I'd want to do.

True, yes. Baum have introduced the PocketVario and VarioConnect 12, but for
the reason you state they wouldn't be well suited to reading GPS information
in the midst of a northern winter.

My radio has speech built in; it can announce the current frequency when the
user presses a button, or while scanning. Having a braille-only laptop also
offers the advantage that I can play audio files without sharing the sound
card with speech output. Ecasound, by the way, is a very useful little
console-based tool for working with sound files and it works very well with
BRLTTY.