[BRLTTY] BrlAPI app

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Mon Mar 19 13:39:47 EDT 2007

Mario Lang, le Mon 19 Mar 2007 18:30:41 +0100, a écrit :
> Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org> writes:
>
> > Mario Lang, le Mon 19 Mar 2007 14:00:40 +0100, a écrit :
> >> We've finally hit the horror, a AT distributor is now distributing
> >> a statically linked BrlAPI using application.
> >
> > Then they must provide you the source code.
>
> The API is LGPL.

Yes, and section 6 of LGPL requires the distributor to either link
dynamically, or ship « the complete machine-readable "work that uses
the Library", as object code and/or source code, so that the user can
modify the Library and then relink to produce a modified executable
containing the modified Library. ».  This clause was precisely meant
for the issue at stake here.

> >> Gosh... Anyway, to continue
> >> on what I am trying to do, does anyone know what version of brltty in svn
> >> I'd need to get a api client working that terminates
> >> with the following strace output directly after loading the brlapi.key from
> >> file:
> >>
> >> send(4, "\0\0\0%\0\0\0K", 8, 0)         = -1 EPIPE (Broken pipe)
> >
> > Is that the very first thing that gets sent to the server? This looks
> > like libbrlapi.so.0.4, thus brltty 3.7.2.
>
> The docs claim the user needs the development tree of brltty,
> and the binary was linked in august 2006.

Ok, so I guess an svn version of that time should be fine since we
didn't do any big change in july/august 2006.

Samuel