[BRLTTY] lock on device

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Sat Mar 31 16:36:14 EDT 2007

Hi,

It's been some time since this was raised, I at last took some time to
have a look at BSD documentation.

Raoul MXgXlazs, le Sun 25 Feb 2007 16:52:43 +0100, a écrit :
> FreeBSD defines a lock on the sio and uart ports.
> This lock avoid to the user or a program to change the port parameters.
> To the parameters of the port we have to set the parameters to
> DEV.init say cuaU0.init for first usb to serial, or cuau0.init for
> the first serial, and so on.
> for a device we have say:
> /dev/cuau0 /dev/cuau0.init /dev/cuau0.lock.
>
> I verified on Debian, this does not exit.
>
> i browsed the brltty code and cannot find if this is handeled.
> Can you enlight me? where in the code can i found such procedure?
>
> of course this suppose:
> 1. open DEV.init
> 2. set the desired parameters
> 3. close Dev.init
> 4. open DEV
> and proceed.

Why should we tinker with DEV.init at all?  Don't ioctls() on DEV
already work fine?  From the documentation I could read, DEV.init is
just used for the system default settings, and DEV.lock is for the
imposed settings.  Brltty should probably not modify them...

Samuel