[BRLTTY] Getting started

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Fri Oct 26 10:15:50 EDT 2007

Hi Daniel,

You cannot install Linux "over the top of Windows." Doing so would destroy
Windows and turn your computer into a Linux-only machine.

There are two ways to get Windows and Linux to coexist. One is to partition
your disk into Windows sections and Linux sections. This is free but rather
complicated and requires care in implementation. My computer here is done
this way but I wasn't the one who did the disk partitioning.

The other way is to add an additional hard disk. Most computers have space
for an extra disk and you can get them at computer stores. This requires
sighted help, if not in the installation then in the BIOS configuration.
It's the safest way to go but it's not free.

There is also something called a "live CD". The last time I used such a
beast you couldn't save any files, or had to do so on a floppy (presumably
nowadays you can use a thumb drive). In this method nothing gets installed
on your hard disk at all. You boot from a CD or DVD which contains the whole
Linux system. While Fedora has a live CD I don't think it has brltty. Some
other systems do have it; GRML and Ubuntu are the two most often mentioned.

Back when I was getting started in Linux, 5 years ago, the Speakup site had
an excellent introduction to how to install the Red Hat systems. If you
don't choose Speakup for your speech you can ignore the Speakup-specific
parts, but it's still a really good introduction to concepts, at least if
it's anything like it used to be. Go to Linux-Speakup.org (note the hyphen
in that name).

One thing you could do if you've got a couple GB to spare on your Windows
machine is to install Cygwin. This is a Linux emulation that runs under
Windows. It's sponsored by Red Hat so it's fairly similar to Fedora. It's
much slower than real Linux but it's good enough to get your feet wet and
learn commands. Go to cygwin.com (it's free). The installer is difficult to
use but it's not impossible (at least with Jaws).

I'm a braille-only user but it's my impression that brltty's speech
capabilities probably won't be robust enough for fulltime speech use. But
it's a nice adjunct to braille and easy to get running.

Because I've been doing this for awhile and haven't kept up with the latest
developments I expect there are some errors in the above. That's one reason
I responded - to get the flames caused by my goofs. :-)

Rest assured you've got a fair amount of studying to do before you can
really get started. Even Cygwin, because of the peculiar installer, takes
some studying. The nice thing about Cygwin is you don't have to reboot to
use it; I use Cygwin all the time and for most purposes it's adequate
especially with brltty.

Good luck, and stay tuned; I'm sure there will be significant corrections
coming real soon now.

--
Lee Maschmeyer
<lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu>