[BRLTTY] Question about --prefix

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Sep 4 08:28:18 EDT 2007

[quoted lines by Stepan Kasal on 2007/09/04 at 14:02 +0200]

>of course, Fedora packages brltty with --prefix=/usr
>--sysconfdir=/etc, and such.
>
>Obviously, building under /usr/local is not an option; that has to be
>left empty for the users of Fedora.
>
>If that might present a problem to Orca users, we would be glad to
>hear about it.

no, it's not a problem specific to Orca users. The default for brltty, at least
as we define it, is --prefix=/ (not /usr/local). This is because /usr could be
in a separate partition, and, therefore, not mounted right at the outset. Our
position is that the braille display is as important to a blind user as the
screen is to a sighted user, and that it should be able to become operational
as early as possible during the boot sequence. That's why we prefer that it be
installed in /bin.