[BRLTTY] Problem with speech.c

Christopher Gray chris at bayareadigital.us
Fri Sep 7 19:26:37 EDT 2007

Hi Mario:

I followed the Orca instructions for braille, and near the end of them a command
is given
from Python; something about "import brltty".  That command gives me no errors.
For that reason partly, I believe the answer to your question is "yes".

Also, braille is working with orca, at least in the initial preferences dialog
now.  I never got 3.7.2 to work with it; but 3.8 is great.  So, for these two
reasons I think the Python bindings are fine.

It is at a command line prompt that I get this "not in text mode" error.  I hope
this is helpful information.

I made the mistake of trying to enable Orca on startup in Ubuntu.  Not good!

Chris

On Sat, 8 Sep 2007, Mario Lang wrote:

> Christopher Gray <chris at bayareadigital.us> writes:
>
>> I have 3.8 working now in a terminal window.  However, when I go to a
>> full-screen session, alt+ctrl+f7 in Ubuntu, I get the message "not in text
>> mode".  Is their a cure for this?
>
> That depends if you are already logged in to GNOME or not.
> I havent managed to get GDM accessible with Orca at all yet.
> But if you are logged in and orca is running, it should
> actually work with brltty 3.8, at least it works here
> on my Debian machine.
>
> Did the brltty python bindings build and install for you?  that is
> what you need to have Orca talk to brltty 3.8.
>
> --
> CYa,
>  Mario | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
>  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang at db.debian.org
> : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
> `. `'
>   `-      <URL:http://delysid.org/>  <URL:http://www.staff.tugraz.at/mlang/>

Christopher Gray, President
Bay Area Digital

Promoting good health with great technology

Bay Area Digital
870 Market Street, #653
San francisco, CA 94102
Phone:  (415) 217-6667