[BRLTTY] getimeofday and rdate?

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Sun Sep 9 14:51:54 EDT 2007

Hi.

It seems our use of gettimeofday to calculate elapsed time is potentially
buggy.  When I run "rdate" to resync my computers clock with some internet
time server, it can happen that brltty stops to interact with my display for
a certain period of time.
This only happens when the time gets adjusted some seconds back.

It should be fairly easy to reproduce, just set your time in the future
and use rdate to correct it again.  I havent tried to reproduce it
deliberately yet though, it just happened to me two times in the last
several weeks.

I think this is a real problem, the braille display driver
should never hang just because the clock was readjusted!

This is with the TSI driver.  I dont know (or havent observed it yet)
if this also happens with other display drivers.  But I am guessing
every driver that makes some use of gettimeofday is protentially affected.

--
CYa,
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'