[BRLTTY] de.ttb

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Aug 8 12:25:37 EDT 2008

[quoted lines by Hermann on 2008/08/08 at 11:07 +0200]

>Wasn't this corrected to "§" due to my suggestion?

Yes, it was. I guess, with all this table conversion, I accidentally lost it.

>> char \xB6 (12345678)  # ⣿ ¶ [PILCROW SIGN]
>>
>What does that mean?

It's a paragraph sign, as opposed to the character you fixed which is a section
sign.

>> On first sight, this looks wrong. Given that we have 2^8 possible
>> chars and 2^8 possible dot-patterns, we shouldn't reuse the
>> same dot pattern for two different characters.

We actually now have way more than that since the tables have become
unicode-based. In practice, though, while you can define every single unicode
character, the VGA font in use at any given time can only have up to 512
characters in it. We're unfortunately limited by that since Linux doesn't
export its unicode image of the screen. The vcs devices give us font offsets
which we then back translate to unicode characters.

>You are right, and I think my suggestion is a solution.

Well ... it was to use dots 13678 which also maps to CTRL-U. Should we take
this opportunity to first resolve that conflict? Note that it only really
matters for those who do keyboard input from their braille displays.