[BRLTTY] de.ttb

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Mon Aug 11 06:34:07 EDT 2008

Jason White, le Mon 11 Aug 2008 18:59:48 +1000, a écrit :
> If the characters involved are defined in Unicode to be equivalent, as with
> combining characters and the accented letters, then I can't think of a good
> reason to distinguish them at the level of the table.

All the more so since for visual rendering no distinction is made.

> For other equivalences -
> the dashes or, potentially, mathematical symbols, there may be circumstances
> in which they need to be distinguished. If you are checking a typeset
> document, for example, the distinctions among the dashes could be vital.

Yes.

> Dave's equivalence idea is a good one, except that somebody would have to go
> through the Unicode character set to find all of the equivalences that should
> be active by default, and write out a table accordingly. If there is a library
> function that can carry out the normalization and which is designed for this
> purpose, I expect it would be desirable to be able to use it, instead of
> having to re-create it in a table.

One solution is iconv's //translit: if a unicode character is not found
in the table, we can use iconv_open("latin1//translit", "wchar_t"); to
convert it into latin1 with transliteration enabled, i.e. iconv will
approximate the unicode character into something that is latin1.

Samuel