[BRLTTY] Startup with braille on Fedora 9

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Aug 11 09:03:33 EDT 2008

[quoted lines by Lars Bjørndal on 2008/08/11 at 11:23 +0200]

>After yum-upgrading from Fedora 8 to Fedora 9, I got the following
>problem:
>
>With an early boot of brltty, the display only shows question marks
>(?). If I use navigation keys like left, right etc., brltty beeps.
>After loging in as root, I have to killall brltty, before starting it
>manually again. This time, it works fine.
>
>I've put the following line into the file /etc/rc.sysinit after the
>last occurance of some USB stuff:
>
>/bin/brltty
>
>The package rhgb is not installed.
>
>I'm currently running brltty-3.10dev.

It could be that your system locale stuff hasn't yet been set up. If so, it's a
problem that the latest development stream of brltrty should've resolved
because it's finally become totally independent of the local character set. Is
it possible for you to update to the latest brltty release and try it again?