[BRLTTY] What do this entries mean?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Aug 21 12:09:06 EDT 2008

[quoted lines by Hermann on 2008/08/21 at 17:47 +0200]

>during the boot procedure, there appear a lot of entries in
>/var/log/boot regarding the start up of brltty.
>They seem to indicate that a large bunch of entries in my Geman
>braille table file are not recognized by the program.
>I report a few essential lines:
>
>Thu Aug 21 17:31:34 2008: brltty[3552]: /etc/brltty/de.ttb[23]: unknown text
>table directive: <<<<<<<

This one indicates that you'd made local changes to your table which collided
with changes made to the copy in the repository. When such a collision happens,
svn adds lines like that to the file showing which are your changes and which
are repository changes.

>Thu Aug 21 17:31:34 2008: brltty[3552]: /etc/brltty/de.ttb[24]: unknown text
>table directive: \X00
>
>It goes on dozens of lines counting up the hexadecimal figures.

Those are because it's become ambiguous to start a line with a character value
since brltty now supports not only characters in the local character set, but
also Unicode characters. Characters in the local character set are defined with
the keyword "byte", and Unicode characters are defined with the keyword "char"
(in ISO-8859-1, or Latin1, of course, it happens to be the simple case where
both are the same). While the "byte" keyword has always been supported, it was
optional (and rarely used) when brltty only supported local characters.

While I think we're done making huge changes to the text tables, you may wish
to take advantage of a new feature in order to better protect yourself from
future changes of this nature. Text tables now support the include directive,
so it'd probably be best to put your local changes into a text subtable (the
extension we use for that is .tti) and then to simply add an include of your
subtable to the end of the main table.