[BRLTTY] SSH from Cygwin

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Fri Feb 15 13:04:21 EST 2008

Hi all,

This has been true forever I think and I don't really know how to describe
it.

Throughout, my display is set to computer braille.

Brltty works properly when I run Linux (right now Red Hat Enterprise Linux
5.1) and ssh to my Enterprise Linux 5.1 server and run, for example,
system-config-securitylevel. This is, at a wild guess, an ncurses
application that puts up several boxes on the screen. In this setup the
boxes appear to be surrounded by question marks. The screen is properly
formatted.

But when I ssh from Cygwin to the same server and run the same app, the
boxes are surrounded by multi-cell characters. Dot combinations include but
are not necessarily limited to:

2-8, 5, 1-3-5-7

2-8, 5, 1-4-5-6

2-8, 5, 1-3-5

2-8, 5, 6

and possibly others. This distorts the screen in various ways. For example,
the top and bottom borders of the window won't fit on one line even though
my screen is 132 characters wide. The cursor lands on the left parenthesis
of a checkbox instead of the right parenthesis. Tabbing to the "enforcing"
item in the SELinux choices causes the word to be rewritten a couple spaces
to the left so it looks like

enforcing g

and other heartbreaking artifacts too numerous and traumatic to mention.
<grin> I don't know whether the screen looks visually the same on the two
systems which is one reason I've never mentioned this.

Does anybody have any idea what's going on and whether this can be fixed
without breaking something else?

Thanks much,

--
Lee Maschmeyer