[BRLTTY] Choosing a suitable braille display

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Tue Feb 19 07:43:15 EST 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 17:50 +0100, J.Schöber wrote:
> Hi,
> Papenmeier display have a nav bar at the front which can be operated with
> thumbs while reading any position of the display. Might be worth a look.
I probably will look at these as well, I find it quite good having the
buttons on the front of the ALVA which could be operated from nearly any
position on the display. I wonder how this type of system compares to
the buttons at the end like on the braillient (as I have only used the
front buttons type display in the past). I just had the thought before
lunch that I could try the display from the pacmate I have been lent (to
get an idea of the different types of navigation systems), but found I
hadn't got the right cables in my bag to connect it to the computer (why
couldn't FS have used the standard USB printer type cable? The pacmate
is big enough to take one, it could accept about any port I can think of
without the size being an issue).
> Perhaps you visit sightcity in Frankfurt in may?
Sight village in the UK would be closer for me, but unfortunately I get
the feeling I will have needed to have made a decision before then (I
think I will need to have made a decision within a month). Thanks for
suggesting it though.