[BRLTTY] Anyone know of a description of a modern boot?

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Thu Jul 24 15:53:02 EDT 2008

Hi folks,

There's a man page, boot(7), purporting to give a description of the boot
process on a Linux system. Though this file is on Ubuntu Hardy, comes fresh
from kernel.org and is part of some Linux man pages suite, it's so old it
still says most people use LILO and doesn't mention grub at all! It also
says init uses inittab to control its processing. That's true of Red Hat
Enterprise Linux and it was true of the Fedoras I used (I think the last was
Fedora 5), but it isn't true of Ubuntu which doesn't have an inittab, and
for what it may or may not be worth it's not true of Solaris 10 (it has one
but it's maintained by a special program). Ubuntu's init(?) refers to
something called upstart but I haven't found any documentation of upstart.

Does anyone know of a description of a modern boot process on a system like
Ubuntu that appears not to have a concept of runlevel? It boots into
runlevel 2 and yet has network capability, so although it has a telinit and
the rc[0-6S] directories I'm not at all sure what if anything they do.

Any ideas would be great Lee appreciated. :-)

Thanks much,

--
Lee Maschmeyer
Computing Center Services