[BRLTTY] Brltty's Braille codes

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Tue Jul 29 11:48:55 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 09:04 -0400, Dave Mielke wrote:
> [quoted lines by Michael Whapples on 2008/07/29 at 11:17 +0100]
>
> >Is it possible to set brltty to use the standard BAUK 6-dot code?
>
> Yes, if someone can tell us what it is. Are you able to provide a table for it
> in whatever format it happens to be in (except binary, of course).

I don't know of a specific table, but the book explaining the BAUK
computer Braille code is at www.bauk.org.uk.

At the moment I don't really know the computer code part of BAUK, but I
was taking the approach that I didn't know nabcc when I started using my
Braille display, so for what I need I probably could pick up BAUK
computer code as quick. May be if I were to go away and actually create
the BAUK computer code table for brltty, it might help me learn it.

> >Is there any other english code that brltty could be set to which would
> >make it produce the same code as an embosser would when driven by
> >software (eg. Duxbury)
>
> If you can provide the table, we can convert it for brltty's use.

I was hoping with the question that there may already be such a case, if
no case already exists I may be best going to the first option of BAUK
as that is what transcribers here in the UK will do.

> >Can anyone think of any other solution (eg. how possible might it be to
> >get the exam transcribed electronically in another country (eg. US) and
> >then use that Braille file to physically emboss in the UK).
>
> What about asking them if your copy of the exam can be on a computer running
> Linux so that you can simply use your braille display?

I hadn't considered asking this, for a few reasons, but that was before
I found that NABCC could be a problem to get on paper. The reasons were
things like, whether they would be willing to permit external equipment
in an exam, and that they don't have a Braille display they could
provide for the exam (so I had initially been ruling out Braille display
use, although it might be the simplest in the circumstances and I won't
know unless I ask them).

On this topic, reading documents with brltty is something I find
slightly clumbsy. By this I mean that one can use the Braille display's
navigation keys to review a screen, but then at the bottom of the screen
one needs to move from the display to the keyboard to scroll the screen
and then move display's view area to the top again before continuing.

Another thing (returning more to the original point of them providing a
Linux machine for me to plug in my Braille display), while I use Linux,
and probably most on this list use Linux, we do have to accept the
domination of Microsoft, and may be its a lack of my DOS knowledge, but
I can't think of a way to show a file (to be able to scroll back and
forth) in a console window.

I suppose what I am saying by that is, would it be useful to have a
document viewer/editor which uses brltty as an output (may be as an
emacs extension)? Is this sort of project beyond brltty and should
really be a separate thing?

> >Also sorry if some of it is off topic for here, but as one approach is
> >to try and configure brltty to give me the same output I will get from
> >an embosser, I felt it was worth asking.
>
> Firstly, you're not being off-topic at all. Secondly, it takes a lot for me to
> feel that something is off-topic. I believe in open and unhindered discussions
> as that's the only way to arrive at the right answers.

I was mainly referring to the embosser questions, which may be aren't
really off topic (partlicularly when I compare it to some of the lists I
have been on).

The main thing that seems to have come from this is that I may need to
discuss things further with the exam people before making the next move
(IE. writing a BAUK table, etc).