[BRLTTY] Spring cleaning and some lint

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Jun 16 09:10:06 EDT 2008

[quoted lines by HansP on 2008/06/16 at 02:28 +0000]

>>>run-brltty firesup, yet brltty sec can't access the braille terminal.
>>
>>What, exactly, is meant by "sec"?
>
>With sec --that means `dry' for you non-french Canadians ;)--
>I meant brltty without the extra functionality that run-brltty seems to
>offer.

I actually do know that "sec" (French) means "dry" (English). The problem is
that saying "brltty dry" doesn't have the same meaning in Englsh. In fact, it
doesn't mean anything at all, so I made the mistake of trying to be sure I knew
what you were telling me. May I ask if it really makes sense to mock the
stupidity, or, in this case, the lack of knowledge regarding another language's
idioms, of the person you're asking for help? How can I be helpful if I'm not
sure regarding what you're telling me? Would you rather I just pretend to
understand or isn't it better that I dare to look foolish by asking.

run-brltty, as described in a previous reply, adds options so that brltty can
be fully run from within the build tree. If you run the brltty executable
that's within the build tree without those extra options then it'll pick up
data files and drivers from the install locations, and that, of course, can
introduce problems related to incompatibility.

>>If "make distclean" is done then "configure" must be run again.
>
>I know Dave, and I did.

I'm glad you do know, but, again, was it wrong for me to check? Perhaps you
yourself are the most experienced user in the world, but that doesn't mean that
all other users are. If a user doesn't explicitly tell me that he's done
something then it'd be rather presumptuous of me to assume that he has. Maybe
he hasn't. How can I be sure unless I check? It just might be that failing to
check will cause me to overlook his actual problem.

>something must have snapped into place, as make install now
>ran without a glitch ( after I discovered, that the installation
>still required an extra run of install-drivers and the like;
>make all definitely didn't cover that.).

It's common practice for "make all" to not do the install. It's also equally
common practice for "make install", rather than a bunch of the lower-level make
install-... commands, to do a full install. Perhaps one of your problems is
that you're trying to be too clever for yourself instead of just doing a good
old-fashioned "make install".