[BRLTTY] USB and serial/USB converter

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Fri Jun 27 11:16:37 EDT 2008

Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org> writes:

> Mario Lang, le Fri 27 Jun 2008 13:55:24 +0200, a écrit :
>> I have to say, my gut reaction is that I am against such a change.
>
> I have to say that mine was the same.
>
> The problem is that a few weeks ago I've seen beginners (I mean braille
> device beginners, not linux beginners) trying to configure BRLTTY and
> failed because of that problem, and it looked like nothing let them
> understand the difference between them.

As explained earlier, a complete beginner would have even more
trouble understanding the configuration required on other platforms.
On Windows, you also have to select "COMx" in the device list even
though you are using a device connected via the USB bus.

> It is possibly just a problem of documentation, maybe the attached
> patch would be enough.

That is a good idea, I think documenting things can never hurt.

The serial autodetection problem is very very old.  It hasn't really
changed, serial devices will always need a bit of user know how
to get up and running.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang/key at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'